A high-altitude glacial water body perched at 14,100 feet, Bhrigu Lake has its beauty as it changes its colours each season. This location caters to some mind-blowing thrills and adventures. One of the most adventurous short treks in the Himalayas, trekking to this lake allows you to witness verdant meadows, picturesque valleys, and snow-capped mountains far away.
Things to explore during the Bhrigu Lake trek
Following are the things to see as you trek to Bhrigu Lake Manali:
- On this short and adventurous expedition, trekkers can enjoy stunning views of Seven Sister peaks and emerald green meadows.
- Grasp the breathtaking views of the snow-capped mountains. You can view some of the major peaks, such as Hanuman Tibba, Shitidhar, and Ladakhi when you are walking on the grasslands. At the top, you will view Indrasen and Deo Tibba and observe the Dhauladhar and Pir Panjal ranges at a significant height.
- Enjoy yourself by sitting around a lovely bonfire session amidst the bountiful nature.
- An amazing thing you get to view is during late summer, the lake water changes to green, and in summer, it turns to blue. During the winters, it is completely frozen, which is a fascinating sight to behold.
General itinerary for Bhrigu Lake Trek
Below is a general itinerary of trekking to Bhrigu Lake:
- Day 1: First, arrive in Manali and spend the rest of the day exploring around. You can visit the Tibetan Monastery, Manu Temple, Vashisht Temple, and the Hadimba Temple.
- Day 2: The next day, travel to the base village, Gulaba from where the trek begins. From Gulaba, trek to 1st campsite of Roli Kholi. You get to view the Tibba Peak and the Seven Sisters as you walk through the meadows.
- Day 3: On the 3rd day, as you start trekking, you will pass through high valleys and green ridges and reach Bhrigu Lake. It takes around 3 hours to reach Bhrigu Lake. As you descend to Moridogu campsite, trek back to Roli Kholi camp.
- Day 4: On this day, you will descend from Roli Kholi campsite to Manali where the expedition comes to an end.
Tips for trekking
Trekking to Bhrigu Lake is a wonderful experience provided you prepare yourself physically and mentally before the expedition.
Following are the tips and tricks to keep in mind before trekking to this lake:
- Since climatic conditions in high altitudes vary from the plains, you must take adequate time to acclimatise.
- Carry your ID proofs, medications, first-aid kit, cash, trekking gear, appropriate clothes, and other necessities during the trek.
- Avoid littering the campsites or the local sites.
- Co-operate with trek guides to enjoy a safe journey.
- Research properly and choose an easy trek route.
- Keep your luggage minimum to enjoy a comfortable journey.
How to reach the base camp?
To reach Bhrigu Lake Base Camp, follow any of the below ways:
- By road: Take a bus from Delhi to Manali and start your trek according to the itinerary.
- By air: Bhuntar Airport is located about 52 km from Manali. You have flights from Delhi to Kullu and Chandigarh to Kullu as well.
Best time to visit
The best time to trek to Bhrigu Lake Manali is before June and after August, from mid-May and then again during mid-October. During summer, the temperature is around 20-25 degrees in the daytime and falls to 5 -7 degrees at night. If you are eager to see the lake covered in snow, visit during December. The temperature is around 10 degrees-15 degrees, and at night it can even go to 0 degrees.
Who can participate in the Trek?
To trek to this location, individuals must have prior trekking experience. However, the ones who can participate in this expedition are as follows:
- A climber, who has the stamina to cover 4 km in 35 minutes without stress and carry a backpack of 10-12 kg is allowed.
- Junior trekkers below 15 years of age, must have the company of a parent or guardian.
- Trekkers between 15 to 18 years of age can participate solo. However, they must carry a disclaimer form signed by a parent or a guardian.
- Children below the age of 7 years shouldn't participate in this trek.
Besides, there are certain health awareness factors and other essential pointers that trekkers must align with while planning this trek.
The Bhrigu Lake trek is not expensive. You can book with a reliable and certified tour operator as they will provide a complete package of the adventure trip. The cost of the trek includes necessary fees and permits. Ensure that the package includes the fees of the guides and trek leaders that you will have with you throughout the expedition.
A perfect location to immerse yourself amidst nature's beauty, this 3-day journey is easy to moderate. It is a wonderful trek for the experienced and the beginner. However, if you are a first-timer, the trail to Bhrigu Lake might seem rigorous. Therefore, start training yourself beforehand.