Agra, Uttar Pradesh
The city of Agra is a popular tourist destination in India. It is in the state of Uttar Pradesh on the banks of River Yamuna. Home to the Taj Mahal, Agra attracts travellers all through the year, thanks to its beautiful monuments, rich architecture, history and cultural heritage.
Looking Back: The History of Agra
If we trace the earliest mention of Agra city, we'll find its references in the ancient Hindu epic, the Mahabharata. At that time, Agra was referred to as 'Agravana'.
However, it is believed that modern Agra was founded in the 16th century by Sikander Lodhi, the ruler of the Lodhi dynasty. And it was he who made Agra the new capital city of the Delhi sultanate.
Then came the rule of the Mughal empire under Emperors Akbar, Jahangir and Shah Jahan. And from 1556 to 1648, Agra now became the capital city of the Mughals. In fact, Agra was also known as Akbarabad.
Especially under Shah Jahan, Agra gained the status of an architecturally stunning city. What with the world-renowned Taj Mahal and several other awe-inspiring monuments to its credit built under their rule.
Later towards the end of the 18th century, the Jats, followed by the Marathas, the ruler of Gwalior and lastly the British empire ruled over Agra. And one can see glimpses of its rich history throughout the city.
Are you feeling intrigued by Agra’s history and wondering the best time to visit this soulful city?
Let's look at that now.
Agra's Climate and The Best Time to Visit
Agra has a good blend of varying seasons throughout the year. While the summer months of April to June can be quite hot with temperatures racing, the months of July to September sees rains pouring down the city.
Based on its climate, the best time to visit the city is between October to Feb-March. During this time, the weather in Agra is cool and enjoyable for sight-seeing. And it is easily the busiest time of the year for tourism.
TIP: Keep in mind that the temperatures can go pretty low during peak winters so, it is best to dress accordingly.
Having said that, people visit Agra all-year-round. So if you don’t mind the heat or the rains, you can visit this well-liked tourist city any time of the year.
Things to do in Agra
Agra offers a plethora of memorable experiences to the avid traveller. It is a city with a unique character and old-world charm. So no matter how you choose to spend your time here, you can count on having a wonderful holiday.
- Go sightseeing: If you like to traverse new places and famous tourist spots, Agra will satisfy your wanderlust. Here you will find numerous monuments, forts, architectural masterpieces to explore, either on your own or with the assistance of a tour guide.
- Enjoy shopping: Spend an afternoon discovering Agra’s local markets such as the Kinari Bazar. Shop for souvenirs at an emporium. And take home remembrances of Agra: beautiful handicrafts, marble products, leather goods, traditional outfits, jewellery and bangles.
- Try out local delicacies: Indulge your taste-buds in some delectable Mughlai food, local treats and sweets of Agra.
- Experience spirituality: Feel peaceful and spiritually awakened as you visit the famous Mosques in Agra, such as the Jama Masjid.
- Take a walk in nature: Visit its well-maintained gardens to relax and unwind amidst greenery.
Now that you know the best time to visit Agra and things you can do here, start planning your trip to Agra. We are positive you’ll love all that this historically-significant, tourist-friendly city has to offer!